2005-11-27

Run Your Own Life

This post is a response to a local blogger, NA Confidential (NAC), who commented on a where I was quoted in the Jeffersonville Evening News last Tuesday. This is following the city council's final passage of the smoking ordinance the day before. Here is my quote from the paper and NAC's response:

“I would appreciate anything you can do to turn the power back to the people to run their own lives.”

NAC says: Mr. Singh is invited to present any available evidence to indicate that people in general are capable of running their own lives, at which point we’ll be happy to consider the various Libertarian proposals to dismantle the state and institute anarchy. Until such a time, is it humanly possible for there to be a spectacle more deliciously ironic than chain smokers merrily protesting limits on the spread of their disease-wracked addiction?
____________________________

Dear NA Confidential,

I am responding to your crass comments, not because I see any point in reasoning with you, but because your hypocrisy, cynicism and fear mongering should not go unchallenged. Yours is the standard behavior for bullies, and as such, I will not engage you in ongoing debate. However, I now have my own blog and will continue to make the case for a rational, voluntary society.

First and foremost, I have no intention of offering "evidence to indicate that people in general are capable of running their own lives," as no evidence is needed. Among, the most basic of our rights and freedoms is the right to run our own lives. Rights are not earned by proving our proficiency with them, and the rights of all are not forfeited just because some behave recklessly.

It seems you believe that people in general are incapable of running their own lives – except, of course, you. I take it you are the pillar of our community, and that you are so capable and responsible that your business was among the first to institute a non-smoking policy, thus leading the way and setting an example for others – Not!

Unfortunately, rights and freedoms, like muscle, atrophy when not used. The more that elitists like you "save us" from our inadequacy, the more you create dependency on your institutionalized solutions. I realize that dependency is fine by people like you, whose contempt for the average guy is apparent. For you most people are just idiots, who should shut-up and do what they are told (as long as that includes buying your beer). Sadly, there seems to be an endless supply of those who prefer being told what to do and comply, rather than being accountable for their own choices, good and bad.

Finally, you prey on the fears of those who depend on "the system" by suggesting libertarians wish to kill their sacred cow – as if a culture of intolerance for individual choice and dependency on a welfare state made our country great. I have no wish to replace order with chaos – no libertarians do. We prefer voluntary solutions to compulsory ones. Government solutions are by their nature compulsory and rely upon the threat of force; this makes them anything but noble or charitable. Far too often, our society uses force when force is not needed. This trend is creating an ever more authoritarian society.

We are working to reverse this trend before government becomes so powerful and intrusive that reclaiming our personal autonomy is no longer possible. You see, we have a radical idea: we believe in the inherent goodness of people and trust them to run their own lives.

BTW -- Many of the protesters were non-smokers. Among the 10 or more adult libertarian supporters known to me at the rally, at least 8 were non-smokers like my wife and myself. And while I am sure there were some smokers in the crowd protesting on the basis of a "right to smoke," all of the business owners and libertarian oriented folks were protesting on the basis of property rights.

10 comments:

The New Albanian said...

Whoa, big guy, settle down.

Relax. Maybe have a beer -- any brand will do. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

Now, is there any room in there for a sense of humor?

The New Albanian said...

Kirk, my fans just won't leave me alone.

Or take the bags off their heads.

East Ender said...

I echo the sentiments of All4na, and I am ever so pleased that you have the talent to counter the ego and brash opinions of the self-appointed guru of New Albany.
I see that you have recieved yet another indication of his ever present conciet in his second narcissistic comment.
This pathetic individual lives within the fantasy that his views of the world, and our community, somehow trump all others who may dare have a conceptual view that runs counter to his own.
We acknowledge, of course, that his skewed sense of self is most likely the result of the continuous consumption of his beverage of trade.
Still, that is no excuse for his insolent attitude.
Your decision not to attempt to engage him in any sort of reasonable discourse is wise, as he is incapable of such an exchange. I have tried.
Indeed, I will virtually guarantee that he will promptly proceed to vilify me and my blog, which is a venue for the citizens of New Albany to express their concerns regarding the dire circumstances that surround our City, and the ongoing questionable decisions being made by our current Mayor.
Thank you for allowing me to take up so much space on your blog, but I feel this was an important topic.
I invite you to visit the Speak Out Loud NA blog, and we welcome your views as a valuable insight into the perception of New Albany by non residents.
Sincerely,
Laura Oates

The New Albanian said...

You're a hero in their eyes, Kirk, but be forewarned: They'll turn on you when you confide your views on privatization.

Here's what Laura wrote earlier this year when someone from Jeffersonville dared invade her spitwad blogyard:

Since you are from Jeff. and have no idea who we are referring to, I suggest you educate yourself a bit before you start critizizing my take on the situation.
Laura Oates, 2:08 AM, September 23, 2005


The funny part about this is that you and I probably agree on many things, but you've over-reacted to one sentence -- one sentence -- which was but one of several thousand that I've written over the course of the last year, and because of that one sentence, I'm a bully?

Really? I would submit that one sentence is far too small a sampling to derive such a conclusion.

East Ender said...

Told ya.

The New Albanian said...

Told ya?

Laura, when you commit your thoughts to writing, you implicitly or explicitly agree to abide by certain rules. Earlier this year you expressed contempt for the opinion of a Jeffersonville resident (when he or she disagred with you) and now, you think it's fine to have Kirk (an outsider) comment on the city.

Well, which is it?

This is precisely the sort of question you always refuse to answer, the spit back that it's somehow insolent and rude to ask legitimate questions.

Just because you feel strongly about something does not excuse you from the rules of engagement when it comes to human discourse, and yet you constantly claim such exceptions.

Laura, it simply doesn't work that way. These rules and customs exist entirely apart from your personal distaste for me, and that's one of the major points in all this. I feel no personal rancor toward you; we're on opposite sides of a battle of ideas and modes of thought, and that's not personal.

You don't know me, either, but it hasn't stopped you from saying things like this:

He is the rudest most unkind man I have ever encountered...and I've never met the man.

Laura Oates, 4:56 PM, September 19, 2005

East Ender said...

Again, I refer interested parties to read the entire posting of Sept. 22nd, from which you culled the "useful" sentence.
Why do you work so hard, going back 3 months, to find words, taken out of context, to attempt to thwart a meeting of the minds between Mr. Singh and myself regarding you and your crass, egotistical ranting?
I suggested in the September article that the commentor had no idea WHO I was speaking of, thus he should educate himself of the persons in question before offering an opinion.
My blog is read by folks from Louisville, Jeffersonville, Georgetown, etc., etc., and I have never suggested an "outsider" is not welcome to comment.
In fact, I am hopeful of gathering the attention of as many surrounding communities as possible to shine the light on a political machine gone horribly awry in New Albany.
'nuf said.

Kirk Singh said...

Okay. Well then, this has been interesting.

Look Roger, I said from the beginning that I am not interested in a protracted debate. I did not base my response on just "one" sentence, and I prefer not to get personal with you or anyone about these issues -- that diminishes all of it.

And I guess that is the difference between us. You seem to make everything personal, and I am just not going to go there, the way you did with that "one" sentence.

You could have said, "I don't believe people are capable of running their own lives." Instead you seemed to relish in denigrating my views.

That's the only qualification I'll make. Otherwise, I've had my say.

The New Albanian said...

Okay, fair enough -- forget the ongoing skirmish between myself and Laura, and do me the favor of considering this, my final word.

In the beginning, I wrote:

"Mr. Singh is invited to present any available evidence to indicate that people in general are capable of running their own lives, at which point we’ll be happy to consider the various Libertarian proposals to dismantle the state and institute anarchy."

Plain and simple -- there's nothing "personal" in that sentence. Nothing at all, apart from the inescapable fact that you, a person, is being asked to provide evidence to support your position.

Is it the tone? It needn't be. It's just a question, followed by a mild rhetorical flourish pertaining to Libertarian philosophy.

Am I guilty of ego? Perhaps, but I can't help that. I don't intend to apologize now or ever for having the ability to express myself at a high level.

Kirk, take this to the bank: If I'd wanted this to be personal, I'd readily admit to it. I choose words for a reason, and I did not choose those words as ones designed to make you feel personally insulted.

I chose them in the hope that you'd answer the question.

I'm no looter, Kirk, even though we may disagree. Read what I've written, and you'll see that.

Kirk Singh said...

Very well, Roger. If you want play it innocent, I will leave you that out, and let the record speak for itself.

To all (seriously, ALL) of you...

Many thanks for the warm reception. It looks like I have my work cut out for me. I'll try not to disappoint.

Yours Truly -- Kirk