2006-03-21

Disconnected Permanently

In memoriam to my Father, Jag Deao Serabjit-Singh, MD

Born March 30, 1927 – died March 20, 2006, at 6:30 PM

I learned at 8:00 AM on Monday that my Father’s condition had grown more worrisome, and my stepmother suggested it was time for me to visit, which could only mean the worst. She never advocated visiting him in his various hospital stays, preferring to have me visit after he returned home to recuperate and enjoy the time with me. I spent the day booking air travel to Buffalo, NY and nailing down everything as best as possible at work, before leaving. With a flight planned first thing Tuesday (today), that gave me the evening to put affairs in order at home.

My Dad faded quietly in his hospital bed at Millard Fillmore Gates Circle Hospital, and reportedly passed without struggle. I am grateful he seemed to go peacefully – this man who struggled and fought for everything in life. While he had suffered a recent fall and head injury, he had seemed to stabilize, before having a setback and progressive fading of his vital signs. Just days from his 79th birthday, my dad lived a full and abundant life. He took life on his own terms and was as ready as anyone can be to pass to what lies beyond.

Having learned the news not long after he died, all of our travel plans are delayed until later in the week, with Pat now joining me. My father will be cremated, and sadly, there will be no viewing or casket – he did not want to be part of what he considered to be a morbid ritual. On the other hand, I would give anything for one last time, just to hold his hand, even if vacant and lifeless. And I will always regret not making it to his bedside sooner, for one last connection with him.

I loved that man. There is a little hole in my life where he used to be. We will fill it with the love we had for each other, as I believe love carries on. In time I trust I will heal, though I will always carry a scar where that hole once was. I trust I will have more to say in the days to come.

Blessings to all who knew him, or knew of him through me. Many thanks for your love, patience and support.

Namaste Father
Rest Well

Important Details

Memorial Service
Sunday, March 26th, at 4:00 PM

Urban-Amigone Funeral Home
3645 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY 14225

Reception to follow at a neighbor's restaurant

Italian Village Restaurant
804 Wehrle Drive (corner of Union)
Williamsville, NY 14221

Both are in the immediate vicinity of the Buffalo Intl Airport
_________________________________

In lieu of flowers, it was my father's wish that you send donations to one of the following organizations:

Buffalo Aero Club
Po Box 817
West Seneca, NY 14224

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
501 St. Jude Place
Memphis, TN 38105-1942
_________________________________

Obituary on-line -- Buffalo News 03/24/2006

Also included here:

SINGH - Dr. Jag D. Serabjit, radiologist --
3/24/2006


Dr. Jag Deao Serabjit Singh of Lancaster, a radiologist and research chemist, died Monday in Millard Fillmore Hospital after a long illness. He was 78.

Born in Jamaica, West Indies, he was a graduate of Emmanuel Missionary College in Berrien Springs, Mich., and Roosevelt University in Chicago.

After working as a research chemist for American Transportation Corp., where he invented a method for nickel-plating magnesium, he attended medical school at King Georges University in Lucknow, India, on a full scholarship, graduating in 1958.

A board certified radiologist, he worked at Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Sisters Hospital and Deaconess Hospital and was director of radiology at St. Francis Hospital. He also was director of radiology at Somerset Community Hospital in Somerset, Pa., and worked in hospitals in Bradford, Pa.

He was an assistant professor of radiology at the University at Buffalo Medical School and was a member of the American College of Radiologists and the Erie County Medical Society.

An avid flier, he was a director of the Buffalo Aero Club and a member of several other aircraft organizations. He earned his pilot's license at age 50 and flew for 25 years, commuting to medical assignments in several states where he was licensed to practice and flying to his winter home in Jupiter, Fla.

Surviving are his wife of 20 years, the former Mary Ann Kowalski; a son, Kirk of Jeffersonville, Ind.; two daughters, Cosette of Raleigh, N.C., and Sandra Welch of Chapel Hill, N.C.; two half-brothers, Bertram of Montreal and Balram of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; a half-sister, Janet of Jamaica; and four grandchildren.

A memorial service will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday in Urban-Amigone Funeral Home, 3645 Genesee St., Cheektowaga.


1 comment:

Highwayman said...

Kirk,
My thoughts go out to you at this time. I too know the pain of loosing a father without having been at his side.

Be well my freind!